Thursday, December 30, 2010

Best Song of Year 2010 (4/4)

My top 5 picks for song of the year!!

Taio Cruz – Dynamite

(199 points)(Peaked twice)(14 weeks on charts)

This Ah-Beng had the song achieving the highest score this year, close to 200. Out of the 10 weeks before it could land itself at the peak, 5 of these weeks it was pretty stagnant at Number 4. I dun deny, it is a really catchy tune to dance to! This is his first smash hit in his 3 years of music career which I think it would be a tough one to match up to in the future. "Dynamite" is a perfectly fine, slightly anonymous rave-up with a nice chorus. Oh well, just that, hmm it feels OLD. Hahaha. Maybe I am just too tired of songs describing what it is like having a nice time dancing in a club. I think Flo Rida’s “Club Can’t Handle Me” can do much better in terms of being a club song. Because of its high score, it could very well be in the top 5 this year, but then again I doubt it is the Top Song.

Taylor Swift - Mine

(183 points)(Peaked twice)(13 weeks on charts)

Sighz…I am really sad that I can’t get tickets to catch her in February. But that aside, she has done herself proud with this first single off the “Speak Now” album, again releasing songs that tell her life story. I mean…how many artists can actually do that? She likes to plunge her fans into the center of a story, exposes some relatable conflict and then allow the momentum of the song’s plot to drive them forward. From a lyrical standpoint, she does everything right. However, redundancy is probably something that will weigh this song down. It is so expected and so typically Taylor and it definitely requires a bit more creativity and surprises. Last year, she got the No. 3 title for “You Belong With Me” and is definitely back to grab the top spot in 2010. I still think it lacks the X-factor though.

Lady GaGa – Bad Romance

(160 points)(Peaked twice)(12 weeks on charts)

"Rah-rah-ah-ah-ah, Roma-roma-mah, Gaga-ooh-la-la"……

It is her call to arms against the monsters of negative love relationships. Talking about revenge, she has more reason to come back this year. Her “Poker Face” was runner up song of 2009, lost to Black Eyed Peas. Anyway, her album has been repackaged over and over again and this single is actually taken off from “The Fame Monster”. I was rather surprised that it could still come up with so many great No.1 hits after repackaging. The best part of this song is its nonsense syllable chorus LOL. Oh of course not forgetting the huge martial beat and room-filling sound. Not so engaging like “Poker Face” and “LoveGame” but vocally, this is by far her best! I know she is hungry for the top spot this year but if she is the runner-up again, she still did a great job! New album coming up March 2011, looking forward to it….

Ke$ha – TiK ToK

(176 points)(Peaked 3 times)(13 weeks on charts)

An upbeat, dominant dance pop song that incorporates elements electropop in its production and beats. She likes to use Auto-Tune in the songs from her album “Animal”. It’s a nice song actually, but lyrically, this songs seems to promote sluttiness as a ‘cool’ lifestyle for young children and teenage girls. Hmm…bad influence! I like the beat though, it is definitely something that will get you dancing. Yeps, another of those clubbing songs hehe…Most likely in the top 10 this year! An impressive 3-weeks stay in the weekly charts but I don’t think it can be the top song of 2010, furthermore Ke$ha is still pretty new in the music scene.

Katy Perry Featuring Snoop Dogg – California Gurls

(183 points)(Peaked for 4 weeks)(13 weeks)

Alright, I am putting my votes on this song, perfect tune for the summer and often the summer song is something that will stay in your mind for a long period. With Snoop Dogg's opening, "Greetings loved ones, let's take a journey," we are immediately transported to a California of beaches, bikinis, and the sun so hot it "will melt your popsicle." The song is little more than light, frothy pop, but that may be exactly what you need today when dreaming about the summer and a few months from now baking happily in the sunshine. Haha, just imagine…Music video for this song was great and Katy had a nice plot planned out. Performance wise, this song had a run of 3 weeks at the top, before falling off to number 2, only for it to bounce right back up the following week. I hope she can claim the first ever female year-end number one since Madonna in 2000.

Disclaimer:
Liking this song has nothing to do with me liking California girls. Although I was there two years ago, I don’t frequent the beach that often. LOL!!

0 Flame: