Saturday, December 29, 2007

A Musical Journey

29 December, 2 more days to the year-end countdown. It's time once again to think back and reflect on the songs that shook the music industry this year. Which number 1 hit song do most people like? Which artist/band enjoys the greatest success this year? Below are some of my views and predictions.

Top 5 songs of 2007

1. My Chemical Romance - Welcome To The Black Parade

A rock song which was carried over from last year, good thing it didn't appear in the countdown that time cuz I know it would be a big hit this year. This song spent an amazing 5 weeks at #1 on the local charts and is still highly requested for on the radio. A loud number which people would never get tired of, that to me, is already an amazing feat.

2. Rihanna Featuring Jay-Z - Umbrella

If MCR didn't get the #1 song this year, I am quite sure it would go to Rihanna. Tough choice cuz this song didn't do too bad this year. Spent 3 straight weeks at #1 in Singapore, and an incredible 10 straight weeks at the top of the UK charts. Who wouldn't recognise the tune of this song if u go around humming "Ella ella eh eh eh..." Catchy chorus, fresh collaboration, well, what can I say? This song is probably the 黑马, they call it the black horse...lol

3. Beyonce - Irreplaceable

Ha, I still remember this song being featured on the TV ad for a mobile phone, forgot what model already. "To the left, to the left...", one of the fav sing-a-long songs introduced this year. Spent 3 weeks at #1 in Singapore. She is one-third of the former band Destiny's Child, probably the best singer compared to the other two.


4. Akon Featuring Eminem - Smack That

"Look back and watch me smack that, all on the floor, smack that, give me some more..." Alright, was addicted to this song during the summer and it became my ringtone in the end. The result of putting 2 rappers together - a #1 smash hit. Lead-off single from his 2007 album "Konvicted" and this song held the #1 spot for half a month in Singapore. Well, given more time, he could possibly replace Justin Timberlake in the R&B music industry. As they always say, 长江后浪推前浪 , time will tell...

5. Timbaland Featuring Nelly Furtado & Justin Timberlake - Give It To Me
OR
Timbaland Featuring OneRepublic - Apologize

I am not sure if the latter song is in this year's countdown, but if it is, there shouldn't be any problem scoring a top 10 position. Chartwise, "Apologize" at #1 for 1 whole month recently while "Give It To Me" peaked at e same position for 2 weeks in early 2007. A lot of controversy over the song "Apologize". Apparantly, people are saying credits should go to OneRepublic cuz Timbaland did nothing except humming "heh, heh...". Alright, he needs to step up and start singing on his own. Yet, the collaboration for "Give It To Me" was another breakthrough for Timbaland. Sometimes I just wonder should he just do production or singing?

Male Artiste of the year (2007)

Akon

I have to give it to him. 佩服,佩服. He holds three #1 singles this year - "Smack That", "I Wanna Love You" & ballet "Don't Matter". Plus, he collaborated with Gwen Stefani on "The Sweet Escape", also with Bone-Thugs-N-Harmony and T-pain and many more. It is a long list anyway. Aiya, it's the Akon year they say. Somehow his songs always start with him singing the word "Konvict", not sure why he did that, but I still think he did very well this year. The next Eminem to be...

Female Artiste of the year (2007)

Avril Lavigne

"Hey hey you you..." haha, I can still remember her hit single "Girlfriend" and not forgetting the emotional ballet "When You're Gone". I still think that video should be given the "Most Touching Video of 2007" award. She is happily married, making a comeback this year with "The Best Damn Thing". Each single held the #1 spot for 2 straight weeks. This shows that Avril fans are still out there rooting for her even though she MIA for a couple of years. A little hiccups for her this year when she was embroiled in a plagiarism case over her hit tune "Girlfriend" and was sued by the band "The Rubinoos" for allegedly stealing parts of "Girlfriend" from their 1979 tune "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend". Hopefully, she has settled it out of court. Another single from her in the beginning of the year was "Keep Holding On", lead-off single of the soundtrack of the movie "Eragon" and was as one of the songs short-listed for the "Best Original Song" category at the 2007 Academy Awards. Overall, I think she deserves to be Best Female Artiste of 2007, still expecting more hit singles to be released from her current album.

Band of the year (2007)

My Chemical Romance

我的化学浪漫, that's their chinese name which I once saw in Zao Bao, then I burst out laughing. Anyway, it is no doubt that "The Black Parade" album has been well received by their fans and is now Platinum. Releasing 4 rock singles this year - "Welcome To The Black Parade", "Famous Last Words", "I Don't Love You" and "Teenagers", they are not those people who would settle for love ballets. Their music has been described by the media as "pop punk" and "emo". Haha, album pics may look a lil' scary for young kinds, skeletons here and there but MCR explained that they have been influenced by horror films and comic books, and hence their music and image all portray overt elements of fantasy, storytelling and fear. Several new rock bands such as Red Jumpsuit Apprartus and Daughtry have emerged in the music industry, it is a tough choice but MCR has really produced the best results this year.

Thats all I have to say, hope that there would be more exposure to even greater hits in the coming new year....

0 Flame: